Welcome to ProSource.net! »
SIGN-UP FOR EMAILS
FREE SHIPPING OVER $200!*
*Everyday Flat Rate Shipping $5.95
New Product Showcase
ProSource Brand Products
ProSource Gift Cards
Top 50 Products
Research & Development
Featured Athlete Profiles
ProSource Advisory Board
Free Supplement Encyclopedia
Free VIP E-mails
Deals & Coupons
Deal of the Day
Deal of the Month
Coupons and Promos
Connect with Us
Call Us at 1-800-310-1555
Help and Customer Support
4 Dimension Nutrition
AI Sports Nutrition
All American EFX
Alpha Pro Nutrition
American Body Building
Arnold Schwarzenegger Series
Athletic Edge Nutrition
Barn Dad Nutrition
Beast Sports Nutrition
Chef Jay's Foods
CON-CRET Promera Health
German American Tech / GAT
Gunnar Peterson System
Hair No More
Health From the Sun
Healthy N Fit
Isatori Global Tech
Jay Cutler Signature Series
Lenny & Larry's
Life Extension Foundation
Millennium Sport Technologies
MuscleTech Essential Series
New Whey Nutrition
NO OPPORTUNITY WASTED
NRG X Labs
Nuts 'N More
PES Physique Enhancing Science
Ronnie Coleman Signature Series
Serious Nutrition Solutions / SNS
Six Star Pro Nutrition
Supreme Protein Inc
Swole Sports Nutrition
Top Secret Nutrition
Veracity Nutraceutical Science
Books and DVDs
Branch Chain Aminos
Energy and Endurance
Equipment & Apparel
Especially For Men
Especially For Women
Growth Support Formulas
Health and Wellness
Mass and Strength Builders
Multi-Vitamins & Minerals
New Product Showcase
Post-Workout / Muscle Recovery
Protein & Energy Bars
RTD (Ready to Drink) Formulas
All supplement brands listed A-Z
Products listed by product type.
Top Rated Products
Best in Class
Top products that hold the coveted "Best in Class" awards
Top 50 Supplements
ProSource.net's top selling products
Exclusive Deals and Sales
Deal of the Day
Every day a single top-brand supplement is featured at extreme savings.
Deal of the Month
Each month a single top-brand product is featured at extreme savings.
Coupon codes and sale items, up to an additional 60% off already low prices!
FREE SUPPLEMENT CATALOG HERE >>
Articles by ProSource
ProSource: Joint Command
By Chad Kerksick, PhD | Jul 14, 2011
New Technologies Revolutionize the Science of Joint Support
Big muscles and weak joints are a recipe for disaster. One tear, one frayed joint, one hamstring pull can derail your productive exercise regimen for weeks or months at a time. That's why we at ProSource are always closely monitoring ongoing research in the science of joint support. In recent years, we've seen a number of exciting new technologies emerge, including three so promising, we knew it was time to introduce a new Extra Strength formulation of our best-selling, ultra-comprehensive Joint Command.
ProSource's R&D team has taken the next leap forward in this category by incorporating the newest, clinically tested technologies in the field of joint-support science into our
Extra-Strength Joint Command
. HyaMax a natural, standardized hyaluronic acid, possesses a unique water retaining action that helps highly active joints stay healthy and resist compression while facilitating the formation of tough flexible cartilage that acts as a cushion for bones. Meriva is a trademarked curcumin-phophatidylcholine compound (standardized for 18-22% curcuminoids) with an advanced phytosome technology that enhances the bioavailability and anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin. 5-LOXIN contains the most active of the 6 boswellic acids, AKBA, which effectively inhibits 5-lipoxygenase, the compound responsible for the conversion of arachidonic acid into pro-inflammatory cytokines. The addition of these three clinically tested technologies transforms the already ultra-comprehensive Joint Command into a massively synergistic, multiple-pathway powerhouse of connective tissue nutrition and support.
In the article below, supplement science expert Chad Kerksick, PhD, takes a closer look at these emerging new technologies. Take it away, Chad!]
It's one thing to be swamped with work or too busy to even think straight regarding a clean and anabolically correct diet. It's a whole different ballgame, however, when your joints ache and hurt so bad you just get can't going. If you're there already (or better yet, aren't there and want to make you you don't get there) you'll be glad to know that the number of available joint-support technologies has been increasing as modern science turns its attention to this all-important category of health and wellness. That's right, if your idea of curing those aches and pains is popping aspirin or ibuprofen by the handful several times a day, the ingredients discussed in this article may catch your attention.
Certainly you've heard of
glucosamine and chondroitin
as they are stalwarts when it comes to nutritional ingredients taken to
help relieve joint pain
. The U.S. government sponsored an extremely large research study involving many different locations that used a double-blind, placebo-controlled approach and compared various combinations of glucosamine and chondroitin, placebo or a celecoxib, a commonly prescribed medication used at the time to treat inflammation and pain . The study lasted for 24 weeks and included 1,583 patients with an average age of 62 years. While glucosamine alone, chondroitin alone and a combination were not found to reduce the pain by a required amount any more frequently than a placebo, favorable outcomes were reported in participants with more significant levels of pain and discomfort. The authors wer led to conclude that glucosamine and chondroitin may have limited effectiveness in people suffering with mild-to-moderate discomfort, but may be more effective than a placebo when pain and discomfort levels were greater . As mixed results were reported, additional exploration of new and helpful ingredients has persisted.
For example, hyaluronic acid is a sugar that contains key components that are synthesized in the cells found inside the tissue between joints, inside cartilage and collagen. Hyaluronic acid is found within the synovial fluid and is known to be largely responsible for the lubricating properties of synovial fluid along with a host of other important physical properties inside synovial fluid [3, 4]. Injecting the space between bones with hyaluronic acid is a commonly employed treatment option with a wide number of studies reporting beneficial outcomes [5-7] while other studies have reported marginal positive effects [8-10]. Regardless, a recent review of 76 articles concluded this form of treatment should be considered an effective treatment for the pain and discomfort associated with osteoarthritis . Oral formulations are much more popular for their ease of self-administration and avoiding painful injections.
RELATED: Read here for GET OPTIMUM BENEFITS WITH JOINT COMMAND
A recently trademarked ingredient Hyamax (Fenchem Biotek, LTD) is a low-molecular weight formulation produced by microbial fermentation. This low-molecular weight formulation is thought to have enhanced bioavailability, a suggestion which preliminary research has illustrated via a high affinity for joint structure and an ability to be absorbed when taken orally. In addition, a recent pilot study by Kalman and colleagues  had twenty subjects who presented with mild-to-moderate pain from osteoarthritis supplement with hyaluronic acid for an eight week period . Daily supplementation improved pain, function and a number of other symptoms after four weeks and which remained after eight weeks of treatment. Improvements in the placebo over this time were also realized, but the overall magnitude of improvement for bodily pain and functioning was greater in subjects given hyaluronic acid .
If you've ever lived near people who regularly cooked with curry, you are certain to be familiar with the scent of this spice. Curcumin, the yellow spice of turmeric, is the common culprit here as it is used quite often for Indian cuisine and as part of curry powders. What may surprise you, however, is that turmeric has been known for its medicinal qualities for centuries and its ability to treat inflammation. In fact over 3,000 investigations have been completed using Curcumin, making it one of the most frequently investigated ingredients . Some of the findings have revealed an ability of curcumin to operate as a master switch of sorts regarding the activation of inflammation . For years, a significant problem was the unbelievably low bioavailability of curcumin when it is administered orally. Recent developments, however, have resulted in curcumin formulations with greatly increased bioavailability in humans, most notably the patented complex with phosphatidylcholine called Meriva.
RELATED: Read here for KEY INGREDIENTS FOR JOINT LONGEVITY
Follow us on
for a chance to win these products!
While promising results exist with non-practical scientific approaches, studies involving humans were needed. In this respect, researchers had fifty patients with osteoarthritis consume on a daily basis a dosage that provided 200 mg of curcumin or a control, non-supplemented group. The groups were monitored for three months and completed assessments to determine their level of pain, mobility and inflammatory status . When curcumin was supplemented, signs of osteoarthritis were significantly decreased by 58%, but only a 2% reduction occurred in the control group. In addition to improving physical signs, the curcumin group (Meriva) improved walking performance and also decreased levels of inflammation in the blood to a greater extent than the changes seen in the control group. A follow-up study by the same research group followed 100 patients over an eight month period and monitored similar outcomes to those monitored in the previous study . In a similar fashion, the supplemented group experienced widespread improvements in pain, stiffness, physical function, social function and
. Additionally, curcumin ingestion significantly improved treadmill walking performance when compared to the control condition. The authors concluded that recent formulation advancements of curcumin enhance bioavailability in humans, and provide exciting and encouraging outcomes for nutraceutical alternatives to individuals who experience joint pain and discomfort [15-17].
In summary, advancements continue to be made regarding various ingredients that can help reduce pain, inflammation and
improve overall function
inside those joints that keep you from doing the things you love. While more research will continue to become available, preliminary data surrounding Hyamax and Meriva reveal these technologies to be promising new players in the battle against osteoarthritis.
ProSource's new Extra Strength formulation of its highly regarded Joint Command
is one of the first formulations to contain both of these proprietary ingredients making it a serious contender in your battle against aches, pains and stiffness. Indeed, these new technologies, when combined with the original's organic sulfate MSM and UC Type II collagen compounds linked to anti-inflammatory action, flexibility support, and overall joint health, make it far and away your best choice for joint support supplementation.
1. Clegg, D.O., D.J. Reda, C.L. Harris, M.A. Klein, J.R. O'Dell, M.M. Hooper, J.D. Bradley, C.O. Bingham, 3rd, M.H. Weisman, C.G. Jackson, N.E. Lane, J.J. Cush, L.W. Moreland, H.R. Schumacher, Jr., C.V. Oddis, F. Wolfe, J.A. Molitor, D.E. Yocum, T.J. Schnitzer, D.E. Furst, A.D. Sawitzke, H. Shi, K.D. Brandt, R.W. Moskowitz, and H.J. Williams, Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritis. N Eng J Med, 2006. 354(8): p. 795-808.
2. The NIH Glucosamine/Chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT). J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother, 2008. 22(1): p. 39-43.
3. Ghosh, P. and D. Guidolin, Potential mechanism of action of intra-articular hyaluronan therapy in osteoarthritis: are the effects molecular weight dependent? Semin Arthritis Rheum, 2002. 32(1): p. 10-37.
4. Maneiro, E., M.C. de Andres, J.L. Fernandez-Sueiro, F. Galdo, and F.J. Blanco, The biological action of hyaluronan on human osteoartritic articular chondrocytes: the importance of molecular weight. Clin Exp Rheum, 2004. 22(3): p. 307-12.
5. Adams, M.E., A.J. Lussier, and J.G. Peyron, A risk-benefit assessment of injections of hyaluronan and its derivatives in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Drug Saf, 2000. 23(2): p. 115-30.
6. Goldberg, V.M. and J.A. Buckwalter, Hyaluronans in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: evidence for disease-modifying activity. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 2005. 13(3): p. 216-24.
7. Sun, S.F., C.W. Hsu, C.W. Hwang, P.T. Hsu, J.L. Wang, S.L. Tsai, Y.J. Chou, Y.W. Hsu, C.M. Huang, and Y.L. Wang, Hyaluronate improves pain, physical function and balance in the geriatric osteoarthritic knee: a 6-month follow-up study using clinical tests. Osteoarthritis Cartilage, 2006. 14(7): p. 696-701.
8. Kotevoglu, N., P.C. Iyibozkurt, O. Hiz, H. Toktas, and B. Kuran, A prospective randomised controlled clinical trial comparing the efficacy of different molecular weight hyaluronan solutions in the treatment of knee osteoarthritis. Rheumat Int, 2006. 26(4): p. 325-30.
9. Petrella, R.J., M.D. DiSilvestro, and C. Hildebrand, Effects of hyaluronate sodium on pain and physical functioning in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Arch Int Med, 2002. 162(3): p. 292-8.
10. Petrella, R.J. and M. Petrella, A prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study to evaluate the efficacy of intraarticular hyaluronic acid for osteoarthritis of the knee. J Rheumatol, 2006. 33(5): p. 951-6.
11. Bellamy, N., J. Campbell, V. Robinson, T. Gee, R. Bourne, and G. Wells, Viscosupplementation for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 2006(2): p. CD005321.
12. Kalman, D.S., M. Heimer, A. Valdeon, H. Schwartz, and E. Sheldon, Effect of a natural extract of chicken combs with a high content of hyaluronic acid (Hyal-Joint) on pain relief and quality of life in subjects with knee osteoarthritis: a pilot randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Nutr J, 2008. 7: p. 3.
13. Aggarwal, B.B. and B. Sung, Pharmacological basis for the role of curcumin in chronic diseases: an age-old spice with modern targets. Trends Pharmacol, 2009. 30(2): p. 85-94.
14. Jurenka, J.S., Anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, a major constituent of Curcuma longa: a review of preclinical and clinical research. Altern Med Rev, 2009. 14(2): p. 141-53.
15. Kidd, P.M., Bioavailability and activity of phytosome complexes from botanical polyphenols: the silymarin, curcumin, green tea, and grape seed extracts. Altern Med Rev, 2009. 14(3): p. 226-46.
16. Belcaro, G., M.R. Cesarone, M. Dugall, L. Pellegrini, A. Ledda, M.G. Grossi, S. Togni, and G. Appendino, Product-evaluation registry of Meriva(R), a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, for the complementary management of osteoarthritis. Panminerva Med, 2010. 52(2 Suppl 1): p. 55-62.
17. Belcaro, G., M.R. Cesarone, M. Dugall, L. Pellegrini, A. Ledda, M.G. Grossi, S. Togni, and G. Appendino, Efficacy and safety of Meriva(R), a curcumin-phosphatidylcholine complex, during extended administration in osteoarthritis patients. Altern Med Rev, 2010. 15(4): p. 337-44.
LEAVE A COMMENT
The articles featured herein are for informational purposes only and should not be construed as medical advice. Specific medical advice should only be obtained from a licensed health care professional. No liability is assumed by ProSource for any information herein.
Return to Top
Report Site Errors
Click Here for Important Safety Information
More Ways to Score Deals & Discounts
FREE Catalog by Mail
FREE Catalog Online
Sign Up for VIP E-mails
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Shop Us on Your Mobile Phone
Terms & Conditions
New Product Showcase
Order Tracking & Order History
Ask the Experts
Best Discounted Bodybuilding and Nutritional Supplements!
Hot Muscle Building Supplements
BSN NO Xplode
Hot Fat Loss Supplements
100% Whey Gold Standard
Nutrex Lipo 6
Supplement Discounts & Coupons
Gaspari Superpump MAX
CytoSport Muscle Milk
Hot Selling Brands
ProSource.net - Lowest Price Bodybuilding and Nutrition Supplements!
ProSource, 2231 Landmark Place, Manasquan, NJ 08736
Contact Customer Service