ANDREW OYE'S IFBB PRO LEAGUE OLYMPIA PREVIEW: JOE WEIDER'S OLYMPIA WEEKEND BODYBUILDING CHAMPIONSHIPS: OLYMPIA QUALIFICATION SERIES RANKINGS - OPEN DIVISION
By Andrew Oye | Monday, September 16, 2013 7:07:07 AM America/New_York
The Headline: ANDREW OYE'S IFBB PRO LEAGUE OLYMPIA PREVIEW: JOE WEIDER'S OLYMPIA WEEKEND BODYBUILDING CHAMPIONSHIPS: OLYMPIA QUALIFICATION SERIES RANKINGS - OPEN DIVISION
The Item: IFBB Pro League Olympia Preview, Andrew Oye's IFBB Pro Athletes Roundup
The Scoop: Just Announced: Promoters of Joe Weider's Olympia Weekend (a.k.a. the "Super Bowl of bodybuilding") just announced the Olympia Qualification Series Standings for the Open Division competitors vying for spots to compete in the Mr. Olympia contest at the 2013 IFBB Olympia Bodybuilding Championships in Las Vegas, Nevada (September 28).
Mr. Olympia Qualification Series Standings
1. IFBB Pro Toney Freeman, USA, 30 points
2. IFBB Pro Johnnie Jackson, USA, 20 points
3. IFBB Pro Lionel Beyeke, France, 12 points
4. IFBB Pro Ben Pakulski, Canada, 11 points
5. IFBB Pro Ed Nunn, USA, 9 points
5. IFBB Pro Essa Obaid, UAE, 9 points
7. IFBB Pro Juan Morel, USA, 8 points
8. IFBB Pro Jon Delarosa, USA, 6 points
9. IFBB Pro Hidetada Yamagishi, Japan, 5 points
9. IFBB Pro Michael Kefalianos, Australia, 5 points
9. IFBB Pro Moe Bannout, Lebanon, 5 points
12. IFBB Pro Fouad Abiad, Canada, 4 points
13. IFBB Pro Bill Wilmore, USA, 3 points
13. IFBB Pro Aliaksei Shabunia, Russia, 3 points
15. IFBB Pro Ronny Rockel, Germany, 2 points
15. IFBB Pro Clarence DeVis, Belgium, 2 points
15. IFBB Pro Frank McGrath, Canada, 2 points
15. IFBB Pro Alexey Lesukov, Russia, 2 points
19. IFBB Pro Ivan Sadek, Australia, 1 point
19. IFBB Pro Fred Smalls, USA, 1 point
19. IFBB Pro Daniel Toth, Hungary, 1 point
19. IFBB Pro Cory Mathews, USA, 1 point
19. IFBB Pro Justin Compton, USA, 1 point
19. IFBB Pro Emiliano Dell'Uomo, Italy, 1 point
The "So What?": As reported in "Andrew Oye's Pro-Muscle Report," the IFBB Pro Olympia Qualification Series Point System applies to IFBB Pro League athletes' eligibility to compete at the 2013 Olympia Weekend and face reigning Mr. Olympia IFBB Pro Phil Heath (current MUSCLE INK Magazine cover featured athlete). International Federation of Bodybuilding and Fitness 2013 IFBB Pro League contest-circuit competition winners qualified include: IFBB Pro Dexter Jackson, IFBB Pro Victor Martinez, IFBB Pro Cedric McMillan, IFBB Pro Evan Centopani, IFBB Pro Steve Kuclo, IFBB Pro Brandon Curry, IFBB Pro Roelly Winklaar, IFBB Pro Mamdouh Elssbiay (Big Ramy), IFBB Pro Baitollah Abbaspour, IFBB Pro Robert Piotrkowicz.
The Series' Top 5 qualify for the 2013 Mr. Olympia contest. In the event of a tie, the competitor with the best top five contest placings will be awarded the qualification. 2012 Olympia's Top 5 automatically qualified (IFBB Pro K. Greene, IFBB Pro Shawn Rhoden, IFBB Pro Dexter Jackson, IFBB Pro Branch Warren, IFBB Pro Dennis Wolf). Though he did not compete at the 2012 Olympia, of course, as a past Olympia winner, IFBB Pro Jay Cutler also makes the list.
Andrew Oye's Verdict: Despite some minor initial criticism, the Olympia Qualification Series Point System, which launched during the 2012 IFBB Pro League contest season, seems to have worked. It kept the top IFBB Pro League athletes near the top and forced some to fight for their spot at "the Super Bowl of bodybuilding," following the trail of past Mr. Olympias like IFBB Pro Ronnie Coleman, IFBB Pro Lee Haney, IFBB Pro Dorian Yates, IFBB Pro Frank Zane, IFBB Pro Sergio Oliva, and IFBB Pro Arnold Schwarzenegger. Dexter Jackson has the distinction of being a Sandow trophy winner as the 2008 Mr. Olympia titleholder, as well as holding the 2012 Masters Olympia title and being a record-setting 4-time winner of the Arnold Sports Festival's IFBB Pro Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic Bodybuilding Championships.
GET THE PRO BODYBUILDING INDUSTRY SCOOP!
"ANDREW OYE'S PRO-SOURCE PRO-MUSCLE REPORT"